Saturday, March 05, 2005

"Was there a second of time I looked around?
Did I sail through or just drop my anchor down?
Was anything enough to kiss the ground
And say I'm here now, she is here now"

"Fasten your seatbelt," the voice from the drivers seat said to me, pulling me back to reality, I had just attended my final lobo basketball home game as an undergraduate student. And I almost didn't make it. I really enjoyed the game, not just for the fact that our team won, but for the circumstances of me attending the game, totally by chance, sold out game, front row seats, and kick ass friends, not to mention a shout out from new mexico's cheif justice, governor, and helllooooo senator. It was a surreal feeling, I knew when I got to the game this was going to be like none other. A feeling inside me said, you will get in, without a ticket, there will be work to do, you will have a place to sit, i have been trying to take life like this, think positive....

Now to recap last week at the legislative (and judicial) internship in santa fe.

Day 1, unexpectedly and nervously I am to lead our students to the capitol, a place i have never been, and was in charge of something i didnt feel worthy of doing. i will admit i was looking forward to the challenge, but was a little unsure i could do it. day went very well, put on a steady face and pretended i knew what i was doing.

Day 2, tired, the 30 minutes of sleep prior to the internship caught up with me, but help was on the way later that afternoon. my boss was now here to help. meet the lobbyists, and socialize and politic-speak. realize i know more than i give myself credit for. katie comes to visit for a short time. :)

Day 3, get to the capitol, theres a message for me at the front desk, to hurry my ass up to the third floor for a senate finace committee hiring, must prepare my thoughts for my speech, when the chairwoman asked for anyone to speak on our behalf, not one, but 14 people spoke on our behalf. very powerful, and i was placed in the center of it all.

-by stroke of luck, a race team owner hears me talk about racing, pulls me aside, may be racing soon for his team, i hope this works out!!

-stay in with the kids and watch napolean dynamite. get kids to bed early for first time this week.

Day 4, senate shadow day, my shadow senator altirmirano is presiding over the session, so i get ot sit on the floor in his place, learn a lot, and do further lobbying, and after hour lobbying. today was declared enlace day, met with the governor.

Day 5, we are all tired, suprise tour of the judicial branch, very surreal, end of day stuff, back and tired.

all i have to say is that the access i had to all areas of the capitol was unreal, and i feel like i am not worthy of what happened,

Now back to today, here is a little quote from JM that sums up the weeks to come, for me and those in my position,

"By the time I recognize this moment
This moment will be gone
But I will bend the light pretending
That it somehow lingered on"

I am really feeling lucky to have my new found friends and honor those moments.

No comments: