What a week. It's been exactly a week since the yearly "Dustball Rally" excursion. This year was something different. After a falling out with a team member last year over the vision of my team, I had to start all over. Preparing a three person team all by myself was a little bit of a challenge, but things came together in great fashion and with time to spare. I had a completely different outlook on this rally. Rather than an all out attack on the event, I would start with the basics, since my team had zero miles together. As the miles ticked away I realized we not only were going to complete the course, but we had a shot at winning this thing out of the box. Day one was a struggle with comfort, it is very hard to prepare others for a 16hr+ task. Luckily with great communication, and a little bit of heartache, we made adjustments to our day 2 game plan.
Rolling across the finish line in the top 3 was amongst the best motor sports accomplishments in my career, and a seeing the relief in my team about completing the roughly 1500 mile course was worth all the sleepless nights and prep work. Also running against my former team mate and finishing ahead of that team was a real boost in morale. I could not have asked for a better result and learned so much more about myself. I can be a effective team leader, friend, confidant. Makes feeling this tired so worth it.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment