Sunday, January 13, 2008

Waiting to get the nod to write about this seemed to take longer than I had originally intended. But with the dissolution of the overlying organization I can do so.

Its been about a week now, back from probably the most intense nine day period of my life so far. I had spent a good part of my summer time in Iowa in the past when I raced on the grand national circuit. This was my first true taste of a mid-western Iowa winter. Though the weather could easily by something I could go on and on about; I won't. What you do need to know "weather-wise" is the following:

  • It was cold (not as cold as it can get
  • Witnessed some extreme snow for December along with -20 temps
  • Did not see the sun for the first two and a half days.
  • Learned the value of warm socks and layers
I was in Iowa this time to volunteer my time for a cause I and many from my home state thought worthy; Getting Bill Richardson elected to the White House. For nine days I was given many tasks:

  • Canvassing (keeping on your feet for 5-7 hours a day) various DSM area homes looking for the opportunity to talk with those who would be going to caucus. You may have seen the picture on the front of the ABQ Trib.
  • Calls, calls, and more calls (must of made over 7k calls alone)
  • Recruiting precinct captains (most important aspect of my job and one I was good at)
  • Hanging and distributing materials
  • Anything and everything
I have had some of the most diverse, interesting, and intense conversations I have every had with Iowans about this country. Opened my eyes to a lot of things people hold important and also opened my eyes to the diversity I often take for granted living in New Mexico. For me conversing is a hard thing to do on a normal day, but I quickly got used to the fact that this was a skill I would need to develop fast. This was not a shallow or conceiting  need but one out of necessity.

On the final day, given the task of observing an actual caucus location, it all came together. Not exactly as planned or hoped for. But a group of complete strangers came together with the same vision, in support of our candidate. They never wavered, though in the opinion of outsiders they favored the unpopular choice.

It was exhausting. I'd do it again in a second.

No comments: